Piecing It Together

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Quilts thus far

I made this quilt with the help of my mommy group. A dear friend was moving away so all the babies had their handprints added to squares and their names embroidered underneath. The squares were pieced together with fun bright prints to liven it up. It was a total surprise to the departing friend and I know she gets a lot of use out of it with her son and enjoys knowing her friends miss her as much as she misses us.

This is a hodgepodge collection of tshirts from Rob's and my college and highschool days. It's still just in a pieced top form, I have to sandwich it and quilt it. It's fun to look back on all of the trips, concerts, games, and plays we were involved in. Rob and I were so different in high school I don't know if we would have ever spoken if we'd known each other then. The classic sports vs. music divide. We were both geeks above all else, though, so I'm sure we would have known each other, but I probably would have dismissed him as a sports geek and he would have written me off as a music-geek hippy chick. Thankfully college opened our minds a little before we found each other.
I made this baby quilt for my sister-in-law when she was expecting her daughter. It has pinwheels in the corners and chicken-scratch lace embroidery work of two pigs, two chickens, and two cows. Blocks around the quilt contain the alphabet, the family name, and the word "BABY". It was such a labor of love to piece the squares, knowing they were going to be a family heirloom someday. I pieced the quilt and finished some of the embroidery, but the majority of the embroidery, the marking, and much of the quilting was done by my awesome cousin Michele and my extended family.




My first real pieced quilt. It's a log-cabin style throw. Rob helped me piece it one cold winter day in 2000. He ironed the pieces and kept me company while I sewed the strips on my ancient White sewing machine. He agreed to help me iron "just for a few minutes" and ended up doing almost every seam, God bless him. Ah, to be newlyweds again and be willing to put up with each other's annoying hobbies.

It's not actually finished here, the edging is raw and the quilting isn't done. It did finally get finished in 2001 and is probably the most used blanket in the house. Rob curls up under it every morning while he dozes during the morning nap shift, and it's frequently spread out for a picnic or playtime in the yard or just to soften the floor where Katie is playing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home