Piecing It Together

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sending our Love....

My mom's youngest sister -- who reminds me in a million ways of my own dearest youngest sister -- is fighting cancer right now.  There are 35 cousins on this side of the family, so even removing her own kids there are 29 of us praying for her and sending her love.

Over the course of December the idea of actually "sending her love" took shape.  A call went out for cousins to send in a fabric block of any design with approximate size specifications.  Over the next 6 weeks they popped up in the mail.

As expected, the final result has all of the mis-matched-but-perfect beauty that only family can create.

The top half.  The first row features some blocks with names from people that didn't get a chance to contribute directly but are very much sending love; the "Ohio Star" squares are from one set of cousins, a few quotations and inspiring words make up many of the blocks.






The bottom half.  More "Ohio Stars", more quotes, Katie's drawing with some fabric crayons, and an iron-on photograph of a large group of the cousins from probably 20 years ago, made scrap book style by a crafty cousin.


The backing is a soft flannel, and I did a very simple square design with machine quilting (I know!  I lose my quilting badges!) and then I did a quick machine binding, too (Boo!  Hiss!  Throw her in the pond!)  I'm sending it out tomorrow so hopefully she'll have it for Valentine's Day--more of a coincidence than anything, but what better day to get a box packed full of love?

2 Comments:

  • I spent time looking at this again today. It is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for all this hard work (I would never be able to tell you took the quick route on parts!)

    By Blogger Lisa S., at 10:07 PM  

  • Your a doll for putting this together!!!~~~Stacey

    By Blogger ms.schwiet, at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home